The word puts fear into the hearts of those who are still trying to find it and gives energy to those who have embraced what it means to push yourself to do things that need accomplishing. When looking for the ways in which to dig deep to find that spark of electricity that will hopefully stoke a fire, we here at Massage Envy have put together a list of ten quick tips on how to find your inner motivator so you achieve more goals and leave apathy in bed where it belongs:
1. Define Success. Motivation comes from the feeling that it can be done, that you can win, and defining a winning outcome helps everything else fall into place.
2. Small Goals. Easily one of the best things you can do when trying to motivate yourself is to find waypoints on your way to success. We don’t take long journeys without pulling over on the way and neither should you when it comes to celebrating tangible moments along yours.
3. Get Moving. Whether it’s finishing that deck, building a birdhouse or fixing a leak, spending some time to put one foot in front of the other gives you time to focus on yourself and visualize your goals.
4. Dream a Little. What will life be like once you accomplish your task? Will it benefit anyone? Will the pride you feel be in yourself for having done it? Thinking about the outcome, what will change, or who might be affected only helps your mind believe that it can be done.
5. Look to Others. Sometimes motivation comes from the successes of those around you. Be it a book on motivation, a CD on becoming more confident, or a seminar being taught by someone you want to emulate, the triggers to be motivated can be found in the belief that you too can accomplish what you set out to do.
6. Practice. Motivation needs to be exercised like a muscle. You won’t perfect it in a day. Realize that motivation comes out of learning from setbacks as well as achievement. One has everything to do with the other. Learn that and practice how you respond to setbacks so you can turn it into a winning strategy.
7. Winners Put Themselves in the Position to Win. Motivation is intrinsic and the way to build up your supply of it is to look at the successes you’ve already had and know you are entitled to more of it. It’s more than positive thinking, it’s motivation that will help achieve your goals.
Christopher Stipp is the Director of Online Marketing for Massage Envy. Connect with Christopher on Google+.