Feeling a bit run down and not as alert as you would like? What if you could eat your way to feeling more with it? Maybe you can. Health experts are finding that incorporating certain foods in your diet can keep your brain healthier and help you stay at the top of your mental game.
1. Blackberries—These little berries can help you learn new information because they contain polyphenols that encourage your brain’s neurons to communicate with one another.
2. Coffee—Believe it or not, your cups of joe may be warding off Alzheimer’s! A Finnish study found recently that people who drank four to five cups in their 40s and 50s had a 65% lower chance of developing the disease.
3. Chocolate—Good news! Chocolate contains polyphenols, too, and a 2009 study found that eating one-third an ounce of the sweet stuff could ward off age-related memory loss.
4. Salmon—There are two reasons to enjoy this fish. First, they are the top source of DHA, the predominant omega-3 fat in your brain, and second, salmon are nature’s best source of vitamin D. Both DHA and vitamin D protect against Alzheimer’s and age-related memory loss.
5. Apples—Quercetin is an antioxidant plant chemical found in apples, particularly the skins. Quercetin protects your brain cells from attacking free radicals that can damage the outer lining of neurons and lead to loss of brain function.
Other foods to consider that can boost your brainpower, now and in the long run, include cinnamon, spinach, extra virgin olive oil, curry and Concord grape juice. Happy eating!
Christopher Stipp is the Director of Online Marketing for Massage Envy. Connect with Christopher on Google+.