1. For cracked, dry lips, start with a gentle lip exfoliation to get rid of excess dry skin, then use a hydrating lip treatment to restore moisture and repair skin.
2. Hydrate your body by strengthening your cells. Dry skin and lips are a symptom of damaged cells that are leaking water. Build stronger new cells by eating foods rich in lecithin, a key component in cell membranes, such as eggs and spinach.
3. Avoid licking your lips. Even though you may feel like you are hydrating your lips, saliva actually leaves lips drier as it evaporates quickly depleting any existing moisture.
4. Eat your water! Only 20% of skin, and that includes the lips, can be reached through topical products – the other 80% must be hydrated from the inside out! Load up on raw fruits and veggies such as watermelon, cucumber and zucchini. They will not only help you stay hydrated longer, they will also help you build strong, watertight cells.
5. Whether you’re going out for a short stroll or a long run in the morning, be sure to use sun protection on both your skin and your lips. Apply a lip protection with SPF to shield your lips from the sun and environmental aggressors like wind and pollution.
6. Layer up your lips! Lipstick is not a lip treatment and won’t heal chapped lips. To heal while you beautify, apply a moisture-rich lip treatment under your lipstick to keep them smooth all day and into the night.
7. Always remember that healthy skin goes beyond topical treatments. To truly heal dry, dehydrated lips and skin, it is important to take an Inclusive Health approach – use hydrating and healing topical products; eat nutritious foods and supplements to moisturize from the inside out; and take steps to reduce your cell-damaging stress!
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!