Has your skin not been looking, or feeling, the way it should recently? It might be time to reevaluate your skin care routine.
The first step to having the beautiful skin you want is determining what skin type you have and using the appropriate products. If you have dry skin and are using products to fight acne, you aren’t making the right choices to keep your skin healthy. Here are some clues to help you figure it out:
• Dry Skin—Does your skin feel tight or have flaky spots? Then you have dry skin.
• Oily Skin—Does your skin look shiny, feel moist when you touch it or have large pores? Then your skin is oily.
• Combination Skin—Do you have patches of shine on your nose, forehead and chin, but dry on your cheeks? Then you have combination skin.
• Sensitive Skin—Have you ever had a reaction to a facial product? Do you burn easily? Then you have sensitive skin.
• Normal Skin—If nothing above sounds right for you, then you have normal skin.
Once you have determined your skin type, you can move on to finding an effective skin care routine. Regardless of your skin type, you will need to cleanse your face twice a day—once in the morning and once before bed.
1. Start by washing your hands.
2. Then wet your face with warm water.
3. Apply your cleanser according to the directions. Rinse it off with more warm water.
4. Rinse again with cool water. Dry with a clean towel.
5. Apply a small amount of toner with a cotton pad. (This is especially important for people with oily skin.)
6. Moisturize your face—even people with oily skin need to use an appropriate moisturizer for their skin type.
7. Once or twice a week, instead of your normal cleanser, use an exfoliating product for your skin type.
8. Apply a facemask regularly to pamper your skin.
Also remember to try and not touch your face throughout the day, which can transfer dirt and bacteria to the skin from your hands and create skin problems. And never, EVER, pick or pop a blemish. It may be tempting, but it can cause more problems in the long run than it will fix, including scarring. Need some help kicking off your new skin care routine? Check out Massage Envy’s Murad® Healthy Skin facials to get you on the right track to healthier, more beautiful skin.
Christopher Stipp is the Director of Online Marketing for Massage Envy. Connect with Christopher on Google+.