Like a Kid
School's out and that means plenty of quality time with the
kids. Sometimes, though, it's the quantity of time they're with you
in the summer that can leave you counting down the days until fall.
Don't despair. Here are a few fun ideas for making the most of your
- Hit the books. Most local libraries and bookstores have regular
story hours. While the kids listen to The Berenstain Bears, you can
browse the best-sellers.
- Teach them about the good-old days. You kids will probably be
fascinated to learn that you didn't have NeoPets and iPods when you
were growing up. Teach them a few of your favorite games from
childhood-anything from checkers and hopscotch to Red Light, Green
- Find a partner. More than likely there's another parent
you know who has a house full of kids for the summer. Set up a
schedule where you take all the kids for a few hours one day a week
and she takes them another.
- Make a date. Sit down together with a calendar and plan
out a few "special" events each week. They don't have to be big or
even cost anything. Maybe one day is a trip to a local museum and
another is breakfast out at their favorite pancake place. When kids
know there's something to look forward to, you'll be less likely to
hear that dreaded "B" word: bored.
- Get moving. The family that works out together, stays
healthy together. Take a bike ride, find a new hike, play croquet
or sign up for a parent-child yoga class.