Q & Ahhh
Massage Envy experts answer your questions
Q: What is hot stone therapy?
A: A hot stone therapy treatment includes a
full-body therapeutic massage with the placement of warm stones on
muscles and the usage of warm stones by the therapist during the
application of massage techniques.
The premise behind hot stone therapy is that the direct heat of
the stones relaxes muscles, allowing the therapist access to their
deeper layers. Combining hot stone protocols with a full body
massage provides a very healing and effective experience. The warm
stones also expand blood vessels, which increases blood flow
throughout the body. The stones have a sedative effect that can
relieve chronic pain, reduce stress and promote deep
Hot stone therapy has many benefits:
- Provides relief from pain associated with fibromyalgia,
arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and other chronic
- Decreases pain and muscle spasms.
- Reduces chronic stress and tension.
- Increases blood supply and nutrition to muscles.
- Increases flexibility in joints, aiding in easier mobility and
- Relieves pain and tension created by strained and contracted
- Hot stones, coupled with massage techniques, act as a
"mechanical cleanser," pushing lymphatic fluids and hastening the
elimination of wastes and toxic debris.
Hundreds of Massage Envy clinics across the country now offer
hot stone therapy. If you are interested in receiving this
signature treatment, inquire at your local Massage Envy clinic.
-C.G. Funk, Licensed Massage Therapist and Vice President of
Industry Relations and Product Development for Massage Envy
Do you have a question for our experts about massage therapy?
Contact info@MassageEnvy.com. Type
"Ask CG" in the subject line.